Status: Hourly, Full-time
Company: CFP (Consolidated Fruit Packers) Ltd.
Location: Osoyoos Packing Facilities
Reporting to: Production Manager
At the Star Group, we strive to be the most innovative team in produce with an unwavering commitment to value and taste. The Star Group is an organization comprised of boutique companies that specialize in different sectors of the fresh produce industry: Star Produce, CFP, Sliced FC, BC Hot House, and Whole Leaf. For more than 25 years we have been supplying the highest quality of fruits and vegetables and searching the globe for Big Taste®.
CFP is a Canadian import and export fruit specialist. CFP’s Osoyoos packing facility receives fruit (including cherries, peaches, and apples) in bulk from Okanagan-based growers and sorts it for quality and size before packaging it for shipment to our domestic and international customers. Ensuring productive and safe packinghouse operations and helping to build successful grower relations are vital to our success.
Job Context and Accountabilities
• Work closely with other members of the CFP management team to achieve overall business goals, production and shipping goals, and maintain safe work operations
• Manage the CFP production facility through Warehouse Supervisors to ensure optimal staffing levels and training, as well as pack quality and throughput, by:
• managing, coaching, and supporting the Production Supervisor, Receiving Supervisor, and Administrative Assistant
• leading and/or contributing to continuous improvement in systems and procedures
• Coordinate and monitor the day-to-day activities of external service suppliers, including facility/equipment sales and repair representatives, truck drivers, and cold storage providers.
• Act as a resource for CFP’s growers by overseeing grower payments and in-bound quality
• Identify potential new growers for CFP
• Liaise with building owners/staff regarding facility issues when required
• Recommend equipment upgrades and other capital expenditures
• Maintain a healthy and safe work environment by ensuring compliance with all legislative and organizational policies and procedures, including Occupational Health and Safety and Food Safety requirements
• Completion of other responsibilities as assigned
• Managing Work
• Problem Solving
• Quality Orientation
• Attention to Detail
• Interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, written, listening)
• Leadership and supervisory skills (including coaching and training)
• In-depth knowledge of products and packing practices
• Knowledge of accounting practices
• Ability to work individually and as part of a team
• Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting demands
• Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Ability to learn in-house software programs (including Sky and Aurora) and enterprise resource planning software programs (Microsoft Dynamics)
• Food Safety regulations and best practices (including Canadian Food Inspection Agency and United States Food and Drug Administration Food Safety Modernization Act) training is an asset
• Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) training is an asset
• Occupational Health and Safety training is an asset
• Forklift training and experience is an asset
• Food Safety training is an asset
• First Aid training is an asset
• Previous agriculture, orchard, warehouse, and/or packing facility experience is an asset
Work is conducted indoors and outdoors at a fruit processing plant environment, at growers’ sites, and a packaging storage warehouse, all of which can be subject to extreme temperature conditions. Plant operating hours are dependent on crop, production, and shipping needs, with extended hours and seven-day-a-week operations typical during peak harvest months (i.e. June through October). The work involves frequent travel to growers’ sites throughout the Okanagan Valley, with occasional travel to CFP’s Kelowna office. Hours may be irregular and in excess of 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week. Work outside regular office hours (including weekends and statutory holidays) may be required. To meet the requirements of the business, there are times the work involves electronic correspondence and telephone calls after regular business hours and/or on weekends.
• Frequent standing, walking (including climbing stairs), stooping, crouching
• Frequent sitting and reaching with hands and arms
• Frequent stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying of up to 20 kilograms (45 pounds)
• Frequent climbing on and off of forklift and ability to quickly grasp, manipulate, and move levers, foot pedals, and steering wheel knobs
• Manual dexterity for keyboarding, computer, and telephone operation, and other repetitive tasks
• Production Supervisor, Receiving Supervisor, Administrative Assistant
How to apply
Please submit your resume to: email@example.com
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.