Food Provenance Specialist
At the Star Group, we strive to be the most innovative team in produce with an unwavering commitment to value and taste. The Star Group is an organization comprised of boutique companies that specialize in different sectors of the fresh produce industry: Star Produce Ltd., Star Produce US LP, Consolidated Fruit Packers (CFP) Ltd., Sliced FC, BC Hot House, and Whole Leaf. For more than 25 years we have been supplying the highest quality of fruits and vegetables and searching the globe for Big Taste®.
We currently have an opportunity for one full-time Food Provenance Specialist in our Osoyoos facility with Consolidated Fruit Packers (CFP) Ltd. CFP is a leader in the Canadian fresh fruit industry with over 60 years combined experience. CFP supplies blueberries year round from all parts of the world and is a leader in the Okanagan Valley for apples, soft fruit and sweet cherries. CFP offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
The Food Provenance Specialist is responsible to provide leadership and instruction in the area of Food Safety. This position mitigates food safety risk through Food Safety programs that provide safe food to customers and ensures compliance of all applicable food regulations. This role partners with supply chain/distribution operations and sales to provide food safety consultation support.
Job Context and Accountabilities
- Responsible for working closely with members of the management team, sales, logistics, packing plant employees, and the Star Group’s food safety team to provide leadership, instruction, and maintain open communication to identify and address food safety hazards
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and coordinating all food safety policies and programs
- Reviewing and developing food safety documentation and practices for CFP’s packing facility
- Training employees in food safety policies and procedures
- Obtaining, reviewing, and maintaining grower/packer food safety audits
Conducting periodic internal audits and/or site visits for grower/packer facilities
- Providing food safety guidance to grower/packer facilities and ensuring their proper implementation of pest control vendor programs
- Maintaining corrective action programs
- Ensuring compliance with, and coordination of related inspections for, food regulations, including: Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), Health Canada, United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Food Code and Food Safety Modernization Act, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and FDA labeling laws, and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) Certification
- Organizational policies, procedures, and customer food safety requirements/expectations
- Managing food safety and pest control vendor programs
- Managing environmental monitoring and other laboratory tests
- Coordinating the product recall process and related documentation
- Contributing to continuous improvement in systems and procedures
- Other tasks may be assigned as deemed necessary
- Communication skills (verbal, written, listening)
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Leadership skills
- Must be a high-performing team player and be willing to work in a dynamic, growing, fast-paced
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and ability to learn in-house software programs
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) Certification
- Canada Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) Auditor Certification Training is an asset
- Food Safety regulations and best practices (including Canadian Food Inspection Agency and United States Food and Drug Administration Food Safety Modernization Act) training
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) training
- Food Safety Investigation and Recall Process experience is an asset
The work involves frequent travel to growers’ sites
Education and Experience
Post-secondary education in Food Safety or a related field and 3-5 years of experience in the industry is preferred
How to Apply
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.